Sunday, August 7, 2011

The gift of Montessori


Marigold has been attending a Montessori school since before she was two years old.  We believe she's ready for kindergarten in a public school, but these past three and a half years have been good for her.  Really good.  I could write a long blog post about the little and big things about this approach from which she has greatly benefitted.  But the one that always sticks out is the way that Marigold can sit down and methodically and purposefully absorb herself into a project from start to finish.  Right now, at home, she is working on constructing a scene of safari animals she drew, then colored in, then cut out, and then taped on two papers.  Now, she is writing the names of each of the animals on the paper.  I have not always been the ideal "Montessori parent."  I sometimes interrupt her "process" or run out of patience for lengthy projects that sit on our kitchen counter.  But I hope this learning approach stays with her.  Along with her Montessori experiences, people, and foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment