I love this song. And it perfectly fits how I felt this week. I had a case that didn't go exactly as I expected. Not necessarily bad, just not exactly how I expected. Which kind of threw me because I thought I knew exactly how it would go. Then, just when we decided last week to send Marigold to private school (and then had a little freak out), we got a letter this week that we were accepted into our first choice school in a neighboring public school district by lottery. I'm not sure what we'll do, probably visit and decide. But I was dumbfounded. After years of talking in circles about where Marigold will go to school, and not thinking this was even an option, we won the lottery. (I should note here that we have real problems with the concept of a school lottery along the lines of "Waiting for Superman;" this opt-in process is different through the new Learning Community here, but it is still, as we understand it, random after diversity factors are considered.) So we have another good choice to consider. I wanted to believe it wasn't random. At first, I wondered if it was because I was my typical Type A self and sent the form in early. But I asked the district that question at the time, and was told there is no preference given to early senders of the form. Then I wondered if they chose Marigold because she has an irresistible name. Possible, I guess. Jay said, because I wanted to believe my effort made a difference, that luck is preparation meeting opportunity. But I don't really believe in luck. Instead I surrender again to God's plan. It's not easy for a control freak like me, but sometimes God makes it obvious that we are not in charge of everything. Thank goodness.
No comments:
Post a Comment