Sunday, May 22, 2011

Running


We spent this weekend, as seems to be our pace of life these days, running.  All kinds of running.  Running to soccer games and swimming lessons and birthday parties.  Running four miles on Saturday in the pouring rain.  And today, running a high heel dash (150 yards in 2 inch heels) as a fundraiser for the Junior League.  And I won!  [Though, tragically, my victory was made possible by the leading runner falling and sustaining a badly scraped knee.  After the race we made friends, and I gladly swapped my first place prize of tickets to the Taylor Swift concert (for her 7 year old daughter) for her second place prize of a $100 gift certificate.]  Marigold even got her picture taken with Miss. Nebraska turned Miss. America, who emceed the event.  So we had a great time and it's all good.  But I'm sure this week will involve more running - to work and school and errands and activities.  And next weekend, Marigold and I will be running again in the Boys Town Memorial Day Fun Run.  After that, our goal for the summer will be to slow down.  It hit me that Marigold starts kindergarten on August 15th, just two and a half months away.  And then we are on a new cycle and a real school schedule.  So this summer, my intention is to create some space for unscheduled time at a slower pace.  Winning the high heel dash is an obvious metaphor for my life right now.  It's fun and empowering, but also a little bit crazy.  And it's possible to lose your balance and fall down.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah...
    Loved this post. During your slower pace, try the book Run by Ann Patchett. I think you would like it.
    Congrats on your win!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Tina! I read Ann Patchett's Truth and Beauty last year around this time and loved it. Let us know if you'll be in Nebraska anytime this summer. We would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete