Sunday, March 13, 2011

Life as we know it

One thing I've struggled with about blogs (and, for that matter, facebook, twitter, and the like) is that they can often seem artificial and sometimes even a tad boastful.*  I think it's just a natural part of the medium.  We tend to post when things are good and about all the fun things we are doing.  When things aren't great or are just simply boring, it's harder to write or know what to say.  But it leaves a bit of a skewed view sometimes.  Anyway, I'm trying to keep it real here at "All that we let in," while focusing on the positive.  This weekend was good, if not mundane.  Jay was on-call and, when he came home in between shifts at the hospital, I disappeared to get bits of work done.  On Friday, I let the girls watch some Sesame Street (first time for Marley - she loved it!).  We played outside a lot (Marley LOVES the slide and throws adorable tantrums when we have to come back inside).  We collected rocks and pine cones and watched a rabbit hop around our backyard.  We got groceries, went to the gym and church, and processed loads and loads of laundry.  Probably the highlight of the weekend (see, have to brag a little here) was that Marigold participated in "25 Club" at her swimming lessons.  This involves swimming the lengths of the pool, deep end and all, all by herself with the coach on the deck (not in the pool).  It was only the second or third time she's done it, and it still makes me nervous, but she was awesome.  We were so proud.  And that - laundry together with sparks of joy - is life as we know and love it.  And so we keep on blogging unapologetically about the sparks.  So that we hold and remember those moments, and forget the laundry. 

*Disclaimer: this comment does not apply to the blogs in the "All that we let in" blog roll, all of which I love and enjoy in large part because they are and seek to be truly genuine voices.  






No comments:

Post a Comment