Friday, October 22, 2010

Finally, a ponytail


As I've blogged about here before, Marigold's hair is a source of deep thought and inner conflict for me.  Marigold has clear ideas about how she wants to wear her hair (yes, at age 4) and I have, well, control issues.  Among other things, I still want the fun of doing her hair and, let's be honest, I'm much better at it than she is.  I want to be a "free range parent," but I'm definitely more of a "helicopter parent."  Today, I noticed that Marigold's hair is now long enough for a little ponytail and, for the first time in her life, I pulled her hair back in one.  As soon as I did it, it was like looking in a mirror.  She's a mini-me.  Which, in the end, is at the root of the whole hair as a metaphor for my questions about how much to guide her and how much to let her be her.  At age 4, she mostly just wants to be like me (and her friends too).  Which reminds me that the best thing I can do is to make her mommy something she will do well to emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment